The overall objective of the study was to recruit a clinical cohort of 5,000 people with head & neck cancer. The initial plan was to follow up the cohort for two years but this has now been extended. The Head & Neck 5000 follow-up study is collecting follow-up data for a further 3 - 5 years and we will continue to update information through linkage to national databases until at least 2020.
Specifically, the objectives were to:
- Compare morbidity and mortality outcomes across different centres.
- Compare quality of life outcomes across different centres.
- Describe the individual economic cost of head and neck cancer care.
- Identify prognostic indicators for head and neck cancer.
- Create a resource for translational and applied research in head and neck cancer.